Longlac is a community in the scattered Municipality of Greenstone. The community spreads along the northeastern shore of Long Lake, across from the site of the ancient trading posts. Highway 11 links it to Thunder Bay (to the southwest) and to North Bay (to the southeast). Via Rail connects it to Winnipeg and Toronto.
The recorded history of this area stretches back to 1763, just after the conquest of Quebec City and Montreal by the British. The British took control of the fur trade from the French. In that year, some free trader marked an X on a sketchy map of Long Lake. In 1914 the transcontinental railway passed through Longlac, and in 1940 the highway reached it. In 1929 the logging industry began, with wood being shipped out by rail.
In 1987, a group of local people founded the Longlac Historical Society. Del and Betty Isaacs are still the moving forces behind this organization.